My name is Dan Beitzel and I love Jesus Christ with all of my heart. The first blog i will post will be a short paper i wrote on the passion to pastor and preach the Gospel. This was a small project for my Pastoral Duties class for Liberty University.
"I feel
compelled to give my life to pastoral ministry not solely on the basis of my
own inward examination, (although this is crucial) but on the divine passion
and urgency I feel to preach the word of God with accuracy and to shepherd the
Lords sheep into higher passions for obedience, which leads to righteousness
and sanctification; to cherish and protect the bride of Jesus Christ with my
whole life and to present her to the bridegroom without blemish in all purity,
love and holiness. My deep desire is to preach a gospel that is full of grace,
love and truth which, as Spurgeon says, “conforms the generation to the Bible,
not the Bible to the generation.” There must be an emphasis on repentance, the
power of constant prayer both private and publicly, fasting, and other
disciplines which sets us on a path to be used by the Almighty. I must urge the brethren to have a warfare
mentality, to be actively equipping themselves for the unseen battles against
flesh and devils, daily and constantly. I desire to lead on the front lines of
ware fare for Jesus Christ, never neglecting to apply my pastoral duties to the
poor and weary, and to saturate my mind diligently to the study of scripture, being renewed in the knowledge after the
image of its creator – Colossians 3:10, so no false prophecy may have its
part in me.
As far as qualifications for an
overseer in 1 Timothy 3, can any man say he has arrived at the completion of
these virtues and qualifications? How I ache for the Holy Spirit to continue
the supernatural work of sanctification in the process of holding fast to these
qualifications. We must have a deep satisfaction in Jesus to be able to put all
other vanities aside and to break the many strong holds of sin to live freely
and pure for the Kingdom of God. If our joy is rooted supremely in Christ alone
we will yearn to operate in our spiritual gifts for the service of Jesus, and
live upright and blameless lives for the advancement of the Gospel. In
conclusion, I can read all the books I want and have a perfect theology. I can
be a textbook pastor through and through, but without prayer I am powerless. I
truly believe in order to have an
obedience to the qualifications of overseer there must be a deep, unshaken
satisfaction in Jesus, which no carnal desire can compare, and a prayer life
that is full of fervor and fire, being sharpened in the prayer closet and
released with massive impact on the brethren in public labor."
Blessings,
Dan
No comments:
Post a Comment